Saturday, August 18, 2007

YouTube and the Republican Debate

YouTube and CNN have teamed up to allow U.S. citizens to ask questions directly to the Republican presidential candidates for the upcoming debate on Nov. 28. From YouTube:

"This is your country, and your presidential debate. Submit your video questions for the Republicans here. The CNN political team will choose the most creative and compelling videos, and if yours is one of them, you may get the chance to fly to Tampa to watch the debate live and offer your reactions on video afterward.

This is your chance to let your voice be heard -- grab a camera and get rolling."

This is a great idea in my oppinion; there are bound to be wacky questions, but there should be a few gems in the mix.

While trolling through the videos I was genuinely surprised at how intelligent, articulate and relevant the vast majority of the questions were. This is not to say my impression of Americans is that they are unintelligent, inarticulate, and politically clueless - it isn't. This was just a reminder that for every sound bite I hear of Bush saying something like, "we misunderestimated them" I should remember that 50+% of them didn't vote for him. The questions were so encouraging, I couldn't help saying "right on!" out loud to myself.

No comments: