Wednesday, April 4, 2007

4.0 GHz, 57ºC, 99% Stable


This morning the replacement CPU waterblock I talked about previously (described here) arrived. I quickly got to work installing it, and as of about 9:30 my computer was water cooled!

Forgive the crappy picture, it was taken with a cell phone.

The computer booted up fine, with the BIOS reporting a nice low CPU temperature of 35ºC. Almost immediately after doing so, however, things got a little funny when I accidentally put my computer into sleep mode with Vista. I have no idea what low-level tricks the OS pulls to be able to wake up so fast, but these tricks backfired somehow, and caused me a great deal of confusion. I only mention this because it was such a bizarre experience; I couldn't even get into the BIOS. A good 30 minutes of my life has been stolen from me due to Windows Vista sleep mode. After that not-so-brief scare, I got down to business - making my computer run faster.

After some experimentation, it appears I've managed to overclock my Pentium D 805 2.66GHz to a semi-stable 4.01 GHz (a 50% increase in speed!) But alas, after a promising hour of stress-testing with Prime95, I got a "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4". I think this is stable enough for most things I do, however.

I'll add some higher quality photos and perhaps some benchmarks in the near future.

Edit: I've since learned failing that test is a clear sign of INstability. I'm now a zealot for multi-day stress tests and sub-60ºC peak temperatures.

No comments: